I turned 23 last week (June 10th) and I wanted to do a birthday-themed post then, but I couldn’t come up with an idea. This one struck me, a little late but better late than never!
I was thinking about how books have shaped me as a person. Even though I got into reading relatively late, I was 13/14 maybe, reading and literature are a huge part of my life. It went from being non-existent in my life to being my main hobby, with my other hobbies being book related (this blog & my Instagram). I also study English Literature (and creative writing), so it’s fair to say it takes up a big part of my life.
Here are 23 books that will forever have a special place in my heart & I recommend you read too:
1) His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman
Okay, technically I’m cheating here because it’s a series but I didn’t want to list them all individually. These books were my introduction to fantasy/scifi, I didn’t read nor see HP so I guess this is my nostalgic fave!
2) A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin
When it comes to fantasy I definitely jumped in the deep end, this was the second fantasy series I ever read, I think. I was like 15? I was crazy, clearly. I loved it, I’d seen the show but the books just feel more complete.
3) The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
I read this book after discovering booktube & bookstagram!
4) The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Oh boy, discovering RR was one of the best things of my life. Yes, I was an adult reading PJO for the first time but it was still amazing. I will continue to read his books forever.
5) The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
Where my Sanderson obsession began.
6) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
My favourite classic!
7) Simon vs the Homo Sapien Agenda by Becky Albertali
Cutest, fluffy book ever.
I read it in one sitting, great afternoon read!
8) A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas
My favourite fae smut.
9) Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
Underrated fantasy book!
10) Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
Possibly my favourite book of all time.
11) Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
The only insta-love I’ll accept.
One of my favourite romances ever!
13) Black Girl Unlimited by Echo Brown
This book really touched me. It’s heartbreaking but amazing.
14) Saga by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples
The best graphic novel series.
15) The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
This book scarred me. A book ahead of its time for sure!
16) The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
My favourite love-triange & the only one I can get behind!
17) Heartstopper by Alice Oseman
Cutest graphic novel romance ever!
18) Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig
A much needed read in a dark time.
19) Spellslinger by Sebastien de Castell
This book (and series) makes me laugh out loud.
20) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
A classic I didn’t initially love but upon rereading and studying it, grew to love!
21) Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert
This book made me feel so seen. I love the romance & the rep in this book!
22) Beach Read by Emily Henry
ALL THE FEELS!
23) Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
If you’re going to read one book from this list, make it this one.